#1 Jeremiah T

Jeremiah T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:04 AM

Dear exercise Gods,

Being Asian I comsume obscene (wait can I say obscene in an exercise forum?) amounts of tofu, some people have told me that tofu is a great source of protien and in chinese menus you usually see tofu served with meat because soybean is a vegetable... sorta
However, here in camp, tofu is a sub for meat especially for the *shudder* Vegans...

So... right straight to the point, can tofu be used to replace my veggies?

Love,
Jeremiah

#2 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:21 AM

Dear exercise Gods,

Being Asian I comsume obscene (wait can I say obscene in an exercise forum?) amounts of tofu, some people have told me that tofu is a great source of protien and in chinese menus you usually see tofu served with meat because soybean is a vegetable... sorta
However, here in camp, tofu is a sub for meat especially for the *shudder* Vegans...

So... right straight to the point, can tofu be used to replace my veggies?

Love,
Jeremiah

#3 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hi Jeremiah,

tofu is indeed an excellent source of protein, though I do not consider it a vegetable, as soybeans are actually legumes. It does however, make a great addition to any vegetable dish. You would actually treat the tofu as the "protein" on your plate and combine it with veggies and a carb. For example a stir fry with bell peppers, broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, garlic and ginger, using brown rice, soba noodles, or quinoa as your grain. Quinoa is an excellent choice because it will add even more protein. On another note, the soybean products here in the US are often overprocessed, therefore the fermented varieties are always your best bet such as tempeh or miso. IF you plan on doing tofu, soymilk, or other soy products I would highly recommend buying organic.

#4 MichaelP

MichaelP

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

Are there studies out there that say that Tofu is not good for men to take? I heard this but not sure the source.

#5 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Tofu does contain phytostrogens or isoflavones which do have a very weak estrogen like activity in the body but at normal consumption there has been no study to back up a severe effect of estrogen qualities in men. There has been some research backing up that vegetarian men do have a lower testerone count then omnivore men. There also has been studies about estrogen effects in kids drinking soy milk and eating soy. There also is some rumor that soy based products or tofu can help with breast cancer we have not proved this yet but lets hope it is true. I feel that a mix of all proteins is the most effective for muscle growth and health.

Also weight loss is always better achieved through balance and people that are balanced in their eating are more satisfied and have more choices than those that are vegetarians. A lot of soy is used in preservatives as well. I would love to see a study on Asian culture and breast cancer percentages to see if this breast cancer prevention method holds any water. Most bodybuilders will eat a variety of proteins to ensure muscle development. Exercise can also help in many areas dealing with our hormone levels. Maybe all that soy is the reason you are watching gilmore gils Jeremiah(:
Eric Viskovicz
Founder of LIFE
Eric's Personal Site

#6 Jeremiah T

Jeremiah T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

Tofu does contain phytostrogens or isoflavones which do have a very weak estrogen like activity in the body but at normal consumption there has been no study to back up a severe effect of estrogen qualities in men. There has been some research backing up that vegetarian men do have a lower testerone count then omnivore men. There also has been studies about estrogen effects in kids drinking soy milk and eating soy. There also is some rumor that soy based products or tofu can help with breast cancer we have not proved this yet but lets hope it is true. I feel that a mix of all proteins is the most effective for muscle growth and health.

Also weight loss is always better achieved through balance and people that are balanced in their eating are more satisfied and have more choices than those that are vegetarians. A lot of soy is used in preservatives as well. I would love to see a study on Asian culture and breast cancer percentages to see if this breast cancer prevention method holds any water. Most bodybuilders will eat a variety of proteins to ensure muscle development. Exercise can also help in many areas dealing with our hormone levels. Maybe all that soy is the reason you are watching gilmore gils Jeremiah(:

oh snap! oh no you didn't..... hahahaha
right... lesson learnt.. less soy... more man... =D

#7 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:12 PM

jeremiah you were moving out there at continous football. I was very impressed. maybe some football gloves would help with the sweaty hands i use them. They also make your hands more sticky.
Eric Viskovicz
Founder of LIFE
Eric's Personal Site

#8 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

Fit camp was rocked by u jeremiah you were moving out there at continous football. I was very impressed. Maybe some football gloves would help with the sweaty hands I use them. They also make your hands more sticky.

Eric Viskovicz at live in fitness enterprise
Eric Viskovicz
Founder of LIFE
Eric's Personal Site

#9 Jeremiah T

Jeremiah T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:39 AM

jeremiah you were moving out there at continous football. I was very impressed. maybe some football gloves would help with the sweaty hands i use them. They also make your hands more sticky.

haha thanks I'll consider buying some. 2000 calories in one game... wohoo

#10 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

haha thanks I'll consider buying some. 2000 calories in one game... wohoo

two-thirds a pound a game that will get you to your goal. Maybe will make you the biggest loser.
Eric Viskovicz
Eric Viskovicz
Founder of LIFE
Eric's Personal Site

#11 Jasper

Jasper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

two-thirds a pound a game that will get you to your goal. Maybe will make you the biggest loser.
Eric Viskovicz

I had TOFU last night!!! Oh no!

#12 Jasper

Jasper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

I Had TOFU last night!! That explains the.......

. Oh no!

#13 Eric

Eric

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

I Had TOFU last night!! That explains the.......

. Oh no!

jasper let me know if you start watching gilmore girls.
Eric Viskovicz
Founder of LIFE
Eric's Personal Site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users