3 replies to this topic

#1 arleigh

arleigh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Music may boost endurance, but not necessarily of your muscles, more of your brain. It's said that listening to fast music provides that brain with more information to process, which may distract us from the physical feelings of fatigue and block the signals that tell us to stop exercising. However, not all fast songs to the trick. Songs that are too fast will not help you improve performance or endurane. WebMD suggests that listening to songs with a tempo between 120 to 140 beats per minute is the sweet spot.

Listening to music is a nice distraction to the pains of working out. For most people, music helps them tolerate exercise, and may motivate them to workout more often. Our gym is rarely quiet and whenever the music stops for too long, there are always people asking where the music is.

As far as picking your playlist, it's good to pick songs that match your heart rate. If you are doing a longer duration run or bicycle, you'd want to pick songs on the slower end of the spectrum. But if you're doing some kind of interval training or spinning, you'll vary the tempo of the song. There apps you can find to help you determine the beats per minute of the songs you like.

Good luck and if you want some pointers, I put up my spin playlist in the fitness and exercise section of the forum.

#2 Sye

Sye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

I couldn't agree with you more Arleigh. If I am working out and I don't have music playing I tend to not have a very long
Work out. I use music to evoke an emotion when working out. To me the type of music is very important because depending on how I am feeling will determine what I will listen to. I know it may sound strange but sometimes the right slow song could really get me going. Lets all be one with the music.

#3 Cory Katherine

Cory Katherine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Sye you're totally right- sometimes slow songs are the best because they bring out that emotion that drives you

#4 dblue

dblue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

I find that faster songs work better for me because they get me pumped up. Master Of Puppets is awesome to listen to while running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users