• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ahouston

ahouston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

As you reach your weight loss goals, whether that be here at LIFE or at home after you leave, it is imperative to continue to set goals for yourself to maintain your fitness and weight. So why not try a half marathon!

I KNOW this sounds completely terrifying and a lot of people are rolling their eyes right now, but you can do it. Even if you are saying to yourself that you cant even run a mile at the moment, as the pounds come off, you will find running gets easier, and I daresay.. possibly even enjoyable.

For a bit of inspiration, here is a link the blog of a man who used to weigh 360 pounds. He has now gone on to complete a half marathons, full marathons and even Ironman Triathalons. Now you dont have to go that far, but it is simply to show you that IT CAN BE DONE !
http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/about

Now, if I have gotten your attention and you are toying around with the idea, the biggest question now is "how do I start?" For that, I give you Matt Fraizer. Now he is a vegetarian, but his website is full of useful training programs and tips that anyone can use and he still has food and recipe ideas to suit non-vegetarians.
http://www.nomeatathlete.com/

Even if you are still laughing at the idea and thinking "ha, I wish", just keep the idea in your mind. Maybe you want to lose some more weight first, but hey, walking helps with that, and hopefully walking will turn into jogging, and jogging will turn into running. No one is asking you to do it in 12 weeks like some training schedules suggest, but keep at it and you are sure to get there - but only if you want it!

Goodluck, and I hope that thinking about the feeling of utter accomplaishment when you cross that finish line is enough to get you started!

If you have anymore questions about the best way to go about training or anything to do with half marathons, feel free to ask =)

Alex

#2 psu20

psu20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 07:09 AM

Great post Alex! There are a lot of interesting articles within the website you posted about the half marathon. I've been considering to attempt my first half marathon and I found the "15 Training Mistakes that can Crush Your Half Marathon Dreams" report very helpful. Thanks for the great post and keep them coming!

#3 ahouston

ahouston

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 07:37 AM

Great to hear you found it useful! And its awsome to hear that you are considering doing one!
Let me know if you have any questions about half marathons or training and I will do my best to answer them =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users